Adding a router to the broadband modem may be just a matter of adding the Ethernet link to one of the modem ports and you’re done. What if you want to connect your router to the modem via WiFi AND have a secure, private local LAN as well ?
Prerequisites: The settings are specifically for the TP-Link Router TL-WR841N (or similar models). You will need to know the name of the WiFi modem and the WPA(2) password to connect the router to it.
- connect to the router via Ethernet from a local PC
- access the router via its default IP
- Operation mode: must be set to WISP
- Network: WLAN: must be set to Dynamic IP
- Network: LAN: here you set the gateway IP of local LAN
- Wireless: Basic: Client Setting: enter the SSID of the broadband WiFi and WiFi password
- Wireless: Basic: AP Setting: enter the details for the local WiFi network
- Wireless: WPS: set the WiFi password for the local network
- Wireless: Security: set this to WPA/WPA2 and enter any details if needed
- DHCP: this should be where you set the IP range of the local LAN
- That is is basically. After you reset and re-connect to the new routers WiFi you are in your local private LAN
NOTE: Do remember to set a new password to the routers main access page to avoid any easy access to it